- Flippa currently allows listings of apps for Apple iOS, Apple iPadOS, and Google Android via Google Play which are published and live on those marketplaces. Apps for other platforms or listed on other app stores may not display properly.
- An app can be listed for iOS/iPadOS, Android, or a single listing for both platforms.
- Unique/original apps have been created entirely by the Seller or on their behalf, or have licensed source code and an experience unique to this app.
- Reskins are copies of another app with variations to design/artwork, music and/or sound.
- Clones are exact copies of another app, sometimes with a different name but with no other changes.
It is important for sellers to clearly detail the type of app that they are selling. Only unique and original apps can be listed for sale on Flippa, which include all necessary source code.
While we no longer allow reskinned or cloned apps, it remains vital for buyers to perform extensive due diligence prior to buying an app to ensure that the type of app a seller describes is true and accurate (i.e. there are no other variations in market of what is described in the listing as an 'original app'). Given the frequency of changes with smartphones, tablets, and mobile operating systems, you may consider if you have the technical background to make sure an app you purchase can be kept updated. If you have any concerns, please report the listing or notify us here.
These are apps that are created entirely by the Seller, or have licensed source code made by the programmer who created the apps and which is included in your purchase. There are no variations of the app in any app stores being sold by this or any other app developer.
Creating an app from scratch requires software development skills and resources, so apps which are new and with low purchase prices may raise valid questions for the Seller.
These are no longer permitted to be listed for sale on Flippa. 'Reskins' are copies of existing apps that are similar or identical in the app's underlying code but have subtle changes - most commonly to design/artwork, and/or key characters in a game (e.g. swapping 'birds' for 'cats' etc). There can also be changes to sound effects or music of the original app, and it will almost certainly be renamed (though quite often the new name will have a similar name to the original it was copied from [i.e. 'Angry Cats' instead of 'Angry Birds']). The reskinned app retains the source code and gameplay or functionality of the original app it was copied from and therefore is not unique.
These are no longer permitted to be listed for sale on Flippa. Clones are exact copies of another app, sometimes with a different name but with no other changes.
Flippa recommends that anyone considering the purchase of an app should review either the Apple or Google guidelines as applicable before purchase to check that the app in question is valid for either platform and there is no reason for concern.
- Apple App Store Review Guidelines: https://developer.apple.com/app-store/review/guidelines/
- Google Play Developer Content Policy: https://play.google.com/about/developer-content-policy/
Please note that Flippa reserves the right to suspend or cancel any listing related to an app that we believe may be considered to be a reskin, cloned app, or to contravene another party’s intellectual property or terms. We may also suspend any listing and the associated user account upon being contacted by a third party about such concerns and/ or concerns regarding misrepresented performance or financials.
All listings must comply with our guide on Prohibited Content.