Before a domain can list for sale your ownership must be verified. There are a number of ways that this can be achieved.
- Validate via email if your Flippa account email is the same as the domain’s WHOIS email record.
- Validating Using DNS Text Record - adding a text code provided by Flippa during the listing process as a DNS TXT record via your DNS management console.
- Manual verification by changing the domain's registrant email so that it matches your Flippa account; or change the nameservers instead to NS1.FLIPPA.COM and NS2.FLIPPA.COM.
There are two validation options for domain sellers that are available post listing payment:
- We will automatically send an email to the admin contact attached to the WHOIS record. Please refer to 'Validating Using Email' below
- If you use privacy, or do not receive the verification email, please refer to 'Validating Using DNS Text Record' below
Validating Using Email
Your domain will be instantly validated if your Flippa account email is the same as the domain’s WHOIS email record.
If this is different, Flippa will send a confirmation notice to the registrant email address in the WHOIS. When this arrives, click on the confirmation link to verify your listing’s domain. Note that this process will also work for most private domain registrations.
Validating Using DNS Text Record
If the WHOIS fails, or you are unable to validate via email, you can also validate using DNS.
This involves adding a text code provided by Flippa during the listing process as a DNS TXT record via your DNS management console.
Tip: If the TXT record has been loaded on and is not working, this may be because you entered "www" when listing your domain on Flippa initially. By loading a TXT record against the www form of your domain in the same place, this should fix this problem.
It may take a few minutes for the change to be visible to us so please wait up to 10mins after the txt record has been uploaded before contacting support.
If the txt record does not work after the 10mins then please try removing this and re-adding it. As strange as it sounds sometimes this works as a kind of 'reset'. If you still experience problems then please contact our support team.
If the automatic verification fails, we can verify manually by looking up publicly available WHOIS records and checking the registration information.
Please change the domain's registrant email so that it matches the email address that is associated with your Flippa account. If your information is privacy protected, please change the nameservers instead to NS1.FLIPPA.COM and NS2.FLIPPA.COM.